If you're staying home, here's what you should do
- Monitor the radio or television for weather conditions.
- Do not go outside, even if the storm appears to have subsided. The calm or "eye" of the storm can pass quickly, leaving you outside when strong winds resume.
- Stay away from all windows and exterior doors and seek shelter in a bathroom or basement. Bathtubs can provide some shelter if you cover yourself with plywood or other materials.
- Evacuate to a shelter or a neighbor's home if your home is damaged or if you are instructed to do so by emergency personnel.
- If power is lost, turn off all major appliances to reduce the chances of damage of a power surge.
- Do not handle electrical equipment and do not use the telephone except in an emergency.