During a disaster, it is important to monitor local radio, television and your NOAA Weather Radio for local weather reports. Local radio and television can also offer you information about emergency housing, shelter information, first aid and other forms of assistance.
If ordered to evacuate
- Heed the advice of local authories.
- If told to evacuate, leave as early as possible to avoid traffic, preferably in daylight.
- Leave mobile homes in any case.
- Unplug all appliances before leaving your situation.
- Have road maps and reservations ready at a motel/hotel outside flood zones.
- Stay with friends, relatives or at a low-rise inland motel/hotel outside flood zones.
- Most public shelters do not allow pets nor do most motels/hotels, so make arrangements ahead of time.